The purpose of rehab programs is to arrest deterioration in the local housing stock by making grants and loans available to homeowners for eligible home rehabilitation projects designed to bring substandard housing into compliance with various state and federal codes.
There are a variety of rehab programs, which are generally managed by the cities and towns.
City of Fitchburg
The City of Fitchburg has a variety of rehab programs:
This program is designed to assist qualified owner occupants of one to four family properties with their rehabilitation needs and is funded through two different programs, the HOME program and the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
HOUSING OWNERSHIP OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM (HOOP) FOR 1ST TIME BUYERS
This program, funded through both the CDBG program or the HOME Program and local participating banks provides income eligible first time homebuyers with an opportunity to purchase and rehabilitate their first home.
PROJECT REJUVENATE FOR RENTAL HOUSING
This program provides incentive and financial support for the renovation, repair and rehabilitation of investor owner rental properties within the City of Fitchburg’s Community Development Block Grant target area. In order to broaden the existing availability of affordable housing units within the city, priority consideration will be given to buildings that currently contain vacant housing units.
DEMOLITION OF ABANDONED AND UNSAFE STRUCTURES
This program uses Federal CDBG funding, other available State and City resources, to demolish and remove property that is abandoned, seriously damaged, or deteriorated beyond reasonable financial costs to effectively rehabilitate.
For more information on any of the housing programs offered through the City of Fitchburg’s Community Development Office, or to receive an application by mail, please call 978-345-1018.
The Community Development Department is located on the Second Floor of City Hall, 718 Main Street in Fitchburg.
Monday through Friday
8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Phone: (978) 345-1018
Fax: (978) 342-0161
City of Leominster
The City of Leominster’s rehabilitation program is composed of several elements designated to ameliorate specific substandard conditions. These are:
CITY OF LEOMINSTER’S REHABILITATION PROGRAM
1. General rehabilitation
2. Energy conservation activities
3. Elimination of architectural barriers
4. Historic preservation
Rehabilitation projects eligible under this program include a wide variety of items not all of which are included on the following list which is intended to be illustrative only:
1. Repair or replacement of water and sewerage systems and their components;
2. Repair or replacement of heating systems and their components;
3. Repair or replacement of electrical systems and their components;
4. Replacement of defective plumbing, including defective sinks, tubs and toilet facilities;
5. Eradication of all serious insect and rodent infestation;
6. Eradication of lead paint where chance of ingestation by children is likely;
7. Repair of all seriously deteriorated floors, walls and ceilings;
8. Repair or replacement of structurally defective porches, roofs, gutters, chimneys and foundations;
9. Installation of energy conservation items such as storm windows and doors, insulation, weather stripping, etc;
10. Repair of exterior walls so the structure may be kept water tight and free from chronic dampness, weather tight and in good repair. Depending on condition, this may include painting.
To learn more about the City of Leominster’s rehab programs, contact:
Joseph Cataldo, Rehab Specialist
Office of Planning and Development
City Hall – 25 West Street
Leominster, MA 01453